Palawan Jewels: Underground River & El Nido



Palawan is an island province located in the westernmost side of the Philippines. It is a world-renowned travel destination in the country blessed with so many pristine white sand beaches, breathtaking island landscapes, and abundant flora and fauna. Some of its famous jewels, the Underground River and El Nido, have already received a number of accolades here and abroad. And I was fortunate enough to visit and have firsthand experience on these natural wonders.

Underground River



The Subterranean River National park is about 50 km north of the city of Puerto Princesa in Palawan. Currently, it holds the recognition as one of the New Seven Wonders of Nature. The Underground River winds through a cave estimated to be around 9 km long and flows out directly into the South China Sea. During my trip, this was one of the places that I was really looking forward to seeing. Ever since high school, I have always been a fan of earth science specially on topics about rock formations, caves, volcanoes, and everything in between (nerd alert!). Taking on this tour, I really had high expectations and fair enough, it did not disappoint. 

The place was really amazing! The cave’s facade features a karst made of limestone and in its mouth forms a lagoon surrounded by lush forest. And if you're already sold with that, wait 'til you see what's inside. A pitch darkness full of magnificent stalactites and stalagmites that come in various shapes and sizes. Tourists are provided with a spotlight/searchlight in order to appreciate the marvel that's inside the cave's several large chambers. Overall, my experience in Puerto Princesa Underground River was one for the books. I am very lucky to ever witness Nature's magnificent work of art created and perfected probably for more than a thousand years. 






El Nido Palawan

El Nido is one of the most famous crown jewels of Palawan. It is a small town blessed with so many beautiful beaches, island coves, blue lagoons, spectacular island rock formations, and marine biodiversity. It has become a haven for world class island resorts and the no. 1 go-to destination for backpackers, celebrities, wealthy personalities, and tourists all around the globe. It is consistently regarded as a top travel destination and recognized as the most beautiful island in the world. One of the best ways to experience all these is to go on island hopping. 

When I went to El Nido May of last year, I tried one of the island tours and witnessed for myself the actual beauty of this place. We went to the famous "Big Lagoon" which was surrounded by beautiful island rock landscapes perfect for photo opportunities. 







Then we headed to its little brother - "Small Lagoon" where we finally got the chance to take a dive and swim in its very inviting waters. For the first time, I tried snorkeling and found it really enjoyable. I saw lots of different types of fish and lovely corals that I've only seen in TVs and magazines (I even got to find Nemo! haha). 






After spending some time in the lagoon, we went to "Shimizu Island" which boasted a stunning white powdery sand beach. Here, we ate our very tropical island vibe lunch prepared to us by our tour guides. I felt like I was in my own secluded private beach although this daydream was cut short because we had to proceed to our last destination which was the "7 Commando Beach". There were lots of local and foreign tourists from the other island tours who were enjoying the beach. I wish I still had enough energy in my tank to take a dip but my body was starting to fail me. I decided to just laze around and drink some fresh island fruit shakes and coconut juice under the tranquil shade. The tour ended with a trip back to the hotel that welcomed a noticeably tired bunch - drained, sun-kissed, but carried every bit of satisfaction. 





While it seemed like things went smoothly, a handful of unfortunate events decided to pay a visit. I got pricked by a sea urchin after our island hopping tour (another first). On our way back to Puerto Princesa, the bridge got wrecked by a heavy rain in our last night. We had to walk a makeshift bridge to cross the river and transfer to another service van. Nevertheless, it was still all good fun just the same. The experience was like no other!


------------------------------------------

If you like this post please feel free to comment and let me know your thoughts. Cheers wanderers!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top